browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Community

We were meant to live in community with others. If we want to be part of a strong community sometimes we need to initiate.

We Are Called to Do

Yesterday, we had only one boy show up for our Sunday school class. It was a holiday weekend and a lot of people were out of town. I attend a small church, so when a few families are out of town, it makes a difference. You are missed, when you miss a Sunday in a small … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | 4 Comments

Participating in the Story

Yesterday, our church choir performed a Christmas Cantata. It was complete with readings that told the story of Jesus’ birth. A narrator would read about an event like Mary’s visit from the angel Gabriel, and then the choir would sing a song about it. I didn’t really love the music selection this year for the … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Christmas, Community | Comments Off on Participating in the Story

Community Cheers for Us

Last Sunday, when our church announcements were being made, someone from the back of the church called out, “Look who’s here!” Of course, we all whipped our heads around to see who it was. We all began to clap and cheer when we realized that it was Miss Bonnie. Miss Bonnie will proudly tell you … Continue reading »

Categories: Community | Comments Off on Community Cheers for Us

Faith’s Blessings

Last October, my family visited a new church, well, new to us. This church had been started fourteen years earlier by a core group of believers who were looking to worship together. They began as Independent Methodists and they met at a local school. Over the years, they bought a building and then realizing they … Continue reading »

Categories: Community, Trusting God, Watching for God | 2 Comments

Christian Community

One of my favorite topics to write about is community, specifically Christian community. Paul wrote a lot about community in his letters that make up the majority of the New Testament. My mama recently shared with me a story of community at work in her church. In her Sunday School Class, an older woman began … Continue reading »

Categories: Community, Watching for God | Comments Off on Christian Community

Honoring Life’s Mothers

Sunday is Mother’s Day and thanks to the commercial world we live in, there’s a great push to buy the mothers in our lives everything from cards and flowers to diamond jewelry and days at the spa. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with giving tokens of thanks to the moms in our lives who we have … Continue reading »

Categories: Community, Friendship | Comments Off on Honoring Life’s Mothers

Dandelion Faith

When children see a dandelion, they often see a wish for the making. They will blow on all of those little white seeds and make a wish. When adults see a dandelion, they often see a weed that must be killed at all costs. Beauty, I suppose, is in the eye of the beholder. The … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Choosing to See the Bright Side, Community, Watching for God | Comments Off on Dandelion Faith

What Faith Can Do

My family suffered a tragedy last weekend. Our beloved minivan of fourteen years, died. It was just a car, but it was special. My children were still in car seats when we bought it. My son was only three months old. It was right after the 9/11 attacks and I remember proudly displaying a flag on … Continue reading »

Categories: Community, Trusting God, Watching for God | 6 Comments

Come Thirsty

I have read several articles lately about how people aren’t comfortable going to church when they don’t feel like they have it all together. They are hesitant to go when they feel sad or depressed. They decide not to go when they are upset or angry. Sometimes they decide not to go because they are … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | Comments Off on Come Thirsty

Lessons from Improv

Back in early January, my church started an Improv group. Our pastor has written plays and acted on the side, for the majority of his adult life. My hubby and I have found over our years of working with kids and teens, that their favorite part of any curriculum that we bought, or created ourselves, … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | 2 Comments