browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Community

We were meant to live in community with others. If we want to be part of a strong community sometimes we need to initiate.

Seeing Beyond No Trespassing Signs

My family and I just returned from our Salkehatchie summer mission trip in South Carolina. It’s always amusing to see the look on people’s faces when we tell them where we went. When you say the word mission trip, people picture far off places like Haiti and countries in Africa. But, my family has discovered … Continue reading »

Categories: Community, Watching for God | 1 Comment

When the Church Gets it Right

Yesterday in church, our pastor presented my daughter Caroline, who is about to graduate from high school, a gift from the Ladies’ Group. As he called her up, he said he had music to play for her and the song, “Sweet Caroline,” began to play. The gesture was so thoughtful as was the gift. This … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | 2 Comments

Beating the Odds

I was working outside this weekend with my hubby. We finally got some rain last week, but I noticed that the ground was still cracked and rock hard. While I was holding up a board, a bright green sprout caught my eye. He patiently waited while I snapped some photos. After twenty years of marriage, … Continue reading »

Categories: Biblical Wisdom, Building Christian Character, Community, Watching for God | 1 Comment

Supernatural Strength

I recently had a bit of a health scare. After a yearly visit to my doctor, I got the dreaded call that I needed to come in for another mammogram and possibly an ultrasound. I got the news from the young doctor who replaced my doctor of over twenty years who just retired. She assured … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | 1 Comment

The Beauty of Christian Community

Over the holiday break, my family and I made a trip to South Carolina to visit our Two Rivers family from our summer mission trip. It’s always so good to see that faith family that God has so graciously placed in our lives. It was well worth the three hour drive. Besides the food and … Continue reading »

Categories: Community, Salkehatchie Series | 4 Comments

Roof Lessons

Last week, I got a message from my friend Amy, who is the director of the Two Rivers Salkehatchie mission camp that my family attends in the summer. I’m always happy to hear from her and anyone else from that camp. She wanted to check with me on some dates for next summer. It’s only … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community, Salkehatchie Series | Comments Off on Roof Lessons

The Power of Faith

As I was reading through Acts, chapter three, for my online Bible study, Peter’s words and actions really spoke to me. Yes, this was the same Peter who was always kind of running off at the mouth. Yes, this was the same Peter who was a simple fisherman. He had certainly never been to seminary. … Continue reading »

Categories: Biblical Wisdom, Building Christian Character, Community | Comments Off on The Power of Faith

Disappointed, but not Discouraged

For the past few months, my church has been planning our very first Vacation Bible School in our new location. I am super passionate about that ministry and I spearheaded all of the planning. I put together a budget and I ordered a ton of stuff. I spoke to the congregation and they were on … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | 2 Comments

Jesus Loves the Little Chidren

Last weekend, our church hosted an Easter egg hunt at our new church location. The church itself is fourteen years old, but has moved around from place to place until landing at our new permanent address. We moved less than ten miles from where we were, but we crossed a county line. We went from … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | Comments Off on Jesus Loves the Little Chidren

Nudged to Love Others

I often give my neighbor a ride home from church. She always worries that she is a burden somehow. I just smile as I explain that I was raised in a tiny Baptist church, yet the church owned a school bus. Picking people up, especially for Vacation Bible School, was what we did. Lack of … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | Comments Off on Nudged to Love Others