browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Community

We were meant to live in community with others. If we want to be part of a strong community sometimes we need to initiate.

When Two or Three Gather

I work in the front office of an elementary school and this week is our last week before the summer break. The office is busy on any given week, but to say that this week is packed full of events all week long, is an understatement. It seems like we can’t go more than ten … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | 2 Comments

Sharing Fears and Faith

We were recently discussing in my Sunday school class, the Biblical account of the Israelites leaving Egypt and crossing the desert where they would eventually walk through the Red Sea. The account tells us that God led them with either a pillar of cloud by day or a pillar of fire by night and that … Continue reading »

Categories: Biblical Wisdom, Building Christian Character, Community | 2 Comments

Supernatural Love

Last Sunday, our special music was performed by a husband and wife team. I always enjoy watching them perform. Their words are always so heartfelt and there’s a beautiful humility about them. The wife has been sick recently, and the congregation has been praying for her. They’re a little older, both sporting a little gray … Continue reading »

Life Changing Choices

Last Sunday, my daughter, sent me a text asking me to read her blog. It’s a requirement for her English class. A rather brilliant teacher, has required her students to spend an hour each week outdoors and then blog about it. Last week’s prompt was a little different, “Share with your readers one of your … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community, Watching for God | 8 Comments

Pot Luck Lessons

Two of the grade levels at my school, were planning a Groundhog Day luncheon. It’s just a fun reason to do a potluck on a Friday. Like most pot lucks, everyone was invited to bring a dish to share and they were nice enough to include those of us who work in the office. When … Continue reading »

The Call to Cook

I read a story a couple of weeks ago that’s just too good not to share. In the small town of Perry, Georgia, a stay-at-home mom, Kimberly Chancy, ran into Kroger to get a single case of water for her family. While she was there, her sister called her and suggested that they cook some … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | Comments Off on The Call to Cook

Faith Family Reflections

Last October Hurricane Matthew hit the United States. South Carolina incurred a lot of damage. I remember being incredibly worried about my friends there, or as they say, friends who have become family. My daughter attended a Salkehatchie mission trip in South Carolina four years ago. The following year, she wasn’t going to attend. There … Continue reading »

Categories: Community, Friendship, Salkehatchie Series, Watching for God | Comments Off on Faith Family Reflections

Keep Planting

When I arrived at church on Sunday, one of our praise team leaders asked me if I would be willing to help him with something. This guy is amazingly talented. He said he wanted to get a bunch of people to help with the praise and worship song and he wondered if I knew it. … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community, Watching for God | 1 Comment

Blessed Relationships

I have a dear friend, Bill, who always says that relationships that are built in Christ are different from any other relationships. He says that they tend to grow stronger over time and can weather distance and separation simply because they are blessed by God. Last Sunday morning, I was saying a prayer for my … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community, Watching for God | 1 Comment

A Call to Church

My pastor was recently recounting a conversation with someone who said she believed in God, but just didn’t go to church. Turns out that she had been to a church where there had been a lot of ugliness and she had left with her feelings hurt. This, unfortunately, is not a new story. Just about … Continue reading »

Categories: Building Christian Character, Community | Comments Off on A Call to Church